another kind of dinosaur|
[Most Recent Entries]
Below are the 20 most recent journal entries recorded in
Alex Ander's LiveJournal:
[ << Previous 20 ]
[ << Previous 20 ]
|Tuesday, May 23rd, 2006|
fun fact: it snowed in NH yesterday.
hiking in the snow is fun. it was nice, especially as i didn't get an actual winter in PA. but it also meant that large parts of backpacking trip for this week are not exactly safe, so we had to come home today, instead of saturday. damn. now will have to fit hiking into end of summer, when everything will be much more rushed and ugh.
|Friday, May 19th, 2006|
|meme from ben
find an appropriate number (he had ten) of your favorite novels on amazon. pick a handful of ‘statistically improbable phrases’ for each (only works for ‘search inside’ books). list phrases associated with each book with book names omitted. invite friends to guess which phrases came from which book. (google is not allowed, as in most cases it makes the exercise trivial.)q10
already took a few of the ones i might otherwise have used. asterisk indicates not actually a novel.
1. elegant female
2. scupulous meanness*
3. butter side*
4. parley room, witch consul, symbol reader, golden monkey
5. yes suh, post office corner
6. football phone, campaign physician, horseshoe drive, inaugural platform, black envelope
7. old sport, yellow car
8. three superstates, chinless man, chocolate ration, girl with dark hair
9. bloated colonel, tighter bomb pattern, more combat missions
10. hunderd miles, tenant men, great owners, git work, gray tents
|Monday, May 15th, 2006|
done with freshman year. got home sunday. 'tis good.
visited commie today. it was tuesday, despite what your calendars may tell you. was nice to talk to ms. jackman and ms. bluestein and such.
am excited for summer; it should feature much time with Joanna, backpacking with dad, frequent contra and english dancing, and taxpayer funded lab job and housing at harvard. all good things.
in a recent discussion in the fishbowl, the idea of a supreme court justice becoming a vampire came up (don't entirely remember how). if you are undead, do you maintain your lifetime appointment, or is it close enough to dead that you could to longer serve on the court? i suppose that even if the answer is the former, it would not be too hard to impeach a vampire, but i wonder.
|Monday, April 24th, 2006|
tomorrow will be free cone day.
there are no ben and jerry's close enough that its practical to go.
i miss commie.
|Saturday, April 15th, 2006|
|damnable ville rats
Dear Fuckers in the SUV,
about an hour ago, i left mary lyons to go to dinner. the weather was so beautiful, and my mood so good, i could not help but skip across the grass and down harvard avenue. as you drove past me and turned onto yale avenue, you took it upon yourselves to inform me loudly that i am "the biggest loser" and to give me the finger. now, there is a strong argument to be made that i am a huge loser, and there are any number of legitimate reasons to give me the finger, but i do not believe that you know me at all, much less enough to forward such arguments or for me to have given you a reason to give me the finger. i believe, rather, that you behaved as you did just because i was skipping, which is, if you will forgive me for saying so, a terrible fucking reason for insulting someone. skipping is a wonderful activity, especially on beautiful spring days. i highly recommend that you try it; you might realize that skipping through the grass on a beautiful spring day is much more entertaining than giving random people the finger.
|my kind of multiculturalism
tonight i was given charoset by a man wearing a kilt, sporran, hose, and flashes, who then declined an offer of scotch because it was not kosher for passover.
|Sunday, April 2nd, 2006|
|Wednesday, March 29th, 2006|
do y'all think hemingway or teddy roosevelt would win in a fist fight? i really can't decide.
|Wednesday, March 22nd, 2006|
|two birds with one stone
can we make the raelians and the scientologists fight each other? all we would need to do is convince the scientologists that the raelians are really soldiers of xinu or something... we totally could, and should do this.
|Sunday, February 5th, 2006|
at dinner, Nicole remarked that chem might eat her. now, chem does many things. chem might burn, dissolve, set fire to, blow up, melt, sublimate, give cancer to, and poison you, but it will not eat you. only bio will eat you.
|Wednesday, December 28th, 2005|
|Friday, December 9th, 2005|
|i love her
sflyte120 (12:33:16 AM): once you've had robogirlfriend you'll never go back
sflyte120 (12:33:20 AM): try our other products
sflyte120 (12:33:26 AM): including zombiegirlfriend
sflyte120 (12:33:29 AM): and ninjagirlfriend
|Thursday, November 10th, 2005|
|Monday, November 7th, 2005|
|random stuff amuses tired alex
- i recently learned of Hufu
its human-flavored tofu, for all of you cannibals that want to go
vegan. but how did they get the taste right? did they find cannibals,
and hire them as consultants?
- i think there should be a parody western called "short noon". i know
this idea has already been done by gary larsen, but i do not think that
it needs to be a midget western per se.
|Saturday, November 5th, 2005|
|how to reform the CIA
i was talking to 172nd_brigade
about a point of commonwealth related gossip, and he has slowly culled
a lot of information with regard to it. i asked him if there was a
difference between how he gathered information with regard to gossip he
was interested in with how he meticulously culled data on troop
movements, and he said that the two processes were exactly the same.
then it hit me:
we should hire teenage gossip whores to work for the CIA. they would do
the job perfectly-these are experts at collecting information, not to
mention disseminating false information or limited correct information
to destroy their enemies. that sounds to me like a skill set
clandestine organizations such as the CIA ought to have at their hands.
they've had a wealth of people skilled at all of this in most
high schools across the country, and they have not bother tapping it.
the biggest problem that i can see is that we do not want to give the
gossip whores security clearance, because they are known for not
keeping their mouths shut. this does not mean, however, that we cannot
study them, or have them involved in training of operatives and
|Thursday, November 3rd, 2005|
|but the ones i don't buy are fed to pigs!
today was the first day of the swarthmore public library booksale. as a result, i have a bunch more books i do not really need, like the nibelungenlied, but that it is fun to have around.
general, boring updates:
- classes are good, especially chemistry. linear algebra is boring, but i suppose mr. sherry spoiled me.
- to maintain the commonwealth tradition of using things that are not sports for PE credit, i have taken to folk dance, of the english, scottish, contra, and longsword varieties. the tri-co longsword team is called the points of etiquette, making me a point of etiquette. that seems wrong somehow, but the dancing is fun.
- i visited commonwealth over fall break. i really miss it. i am happy here, and know that i really did need a new environment, but... there's no Ms. Jackman here. although there is a couch in my dorm with an even dirtier reputation than the great pfau couch of the commonwealth lobby.
- i have found people with whom i can gush about pride and prejudice, firefly, ad other things which i need t gush about regularly.
- i have not been gaming enough. ought to fix this.
i cannot think of anything terribly exciting. i am a boring individual.
|Friday, August 26th, 2005|
|signs i am in the right place:
1) when Woody, my roomate, saw my teenage mutant ninja turtle figures, he did not think them at all strange, but instead remarked that he too loved TMNT.
2)someone has already noticed, and complemented, my critic DVDs.
3) a girl on my hall has the same skirt as me. when i commented on this, she was not at all phased tthat i would wear skirts, but just remarked that that "kick ass"
so on the whole, swat seems cool. on the other hand, i miss the hell out of everyone, especially Joanna.
|Monday, August 22nd, 2005|
We'll meet again, don't know where, don't know when,
But I know we'll meet again, some sunny day.
Keep smiling through, just like you always do,
'Til the blue skies drive the dark clouds far away.
So will you please say hello to the folks that I know,
Tell them I won't be long.
They'll be happy to know that as you saw me go,
I was singing this song.
i'm getting in the car in a few minutes. i guess i'm as ready as i'll ever be, and i know that there are any number of good reasons for going to college, but damnit, i am still going to really miss commie-land and all of the wonderful merfolk. at least there are a bunch of commies in the philadelphia area.
|Monday, August 15th, 2005|
|i have not updated in far too long
i am writing this from my new imac. it is most shiny.
since my last update, a bunch of stuff has happened. an impartial list:
- i graduated from the commonwealth school. i miss it already. the school has some problems, but it was most definitely perfect for me.
- i participated in another SCA crew, this time in isle royale (pronounced as one syllable, such as to rhyme with "coil") national park, which is the largest island on the largest lake in the world. it was fun. although the group dynamic was messed up at times. on the other hand, i got to see a bunch of moose, as well as a family of loons. loons are really cool, and really strange. they are very territorial, and are known to kill ducks that get in their way. it is really frightening to see a loon erupt in the middle of a bunch of ducklings.
- i went to montreal with persephone413. it was a lot of fun. the food was amazing, and there were pretty paintings and flowers.
- started working at a chem lab at harvard. it seems pretty good for a low wage job.
in a week i depart for swarthmore. i am both excited and scared by the prospect. does anyone have any recommendations on what to use to attach photos, posters, etc. to my wall? is there anything wrong with scotch tape?
|Tuesday, May 31st, 2005|